Tile floors are a truly beautiful and durable option for your home, but they must be cleaned appropriately or you risk damaging your investment. Old wives tales abound about how you should perform surface cleaning on tile floors. Before you dive in, get the facts from an expert.
The professionals at Revivify Surface share some important information to guide you when surface cleaning your tile. Follow these do’s and don’ts to keep your tile flooring looking beautiful and lasting for many years.
Tile Surface Cleaning Products
As with any surface, you should take care to use only the recommended surface cleaning products that will not harm your surfaces. Follow these suggestions to clean your tile while protecting them.
- Use bleach or ammonia-based cleaners, as they will discolor your grout over time
- Use abrasive scrubbing powders
- Use any chemical cleaning solutions
- Use a mild, non-abrasive, all-purpose cleaner with a minimum amount of water
- Use your tile’s manufacturer-recommended cleaner
Tile Surface Cleaning Methods
Not only does it matter what substances you use when surface cleaning your tile floors, your cleaning method also matters. Follow these tips to clean your floors.
- Use a mop; it will push dirt and water into your grout
- Use an electric scrubber or polisher
- Use steel wool or any type of scrub pads
- Hand-wash your floors with a soft cloth
- Use a minimum amount of water
- Dry your tile floors with a soft towel
Protecting Your Tile Surfaces
Tile is designed to last, but certain things can damage them, necessitating expensive repairs. Follow these suggestions to protect your tile surfaces from harm.
- Use a vacuum cleaner beater bar to clean your tile floors. Most vacuum cleaners have a button that will turn off your beater bar to vacuum hard surface floors like tile.
- Let dirt accumulate. Clean your floors regularly.
- Let spills sit for any length of time. They can stain your tile.
- Position a doormat outside and inside each entrance to your home. They can collect dirt and prevent it from getting to your tile.
- Periodically inspect and replace the caulking around tile edges.
- Periodically seal your tile for protection against moisture and grit.
- Protect your tile surfaces by using furniture protectors on the bottom of chair and table legs, especially when moving furniture.
Surface Cleaning, Repairing or Replacing
Tile flooring is normally used in high-traffic areas for its durability. You can increase its lifespan by using the suggestions above for keeping your tile clean and dry. But after a while, all tile can become dull or stained.
- Be too quick to replace your tile surfaces.
- Attempt to repair or replace broken or chipped tiles on your own. You can easily cause more damage.
- Look into options to professionally revive your tile surfaces.
- Contact a professional surface cleaning and repair service to replace broken or chipped tile or stained grout.
- Obtain a professional evaluation before you consider replacing any of your time surfaces. Sometimes there are options to save your existing tile that are more affordable than a new installation.
For more information about surface cleaning, caring for, repairing, or replacing your tile surfaces, contact Revivify Surface today.